• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Dakota

FORUM BITCH / Beloved Cunt
Bold Member!
Investigators say they suspect a teen who has been missing for seven days did not take off on her own.

15-year-old Gabbiee Swainson disappeared last Saturday. Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott thinks she was abducted.

"I don't feel like she left on her own," said Lott. "And that's why we've put so much on this case. I don't feel like she left on her own. This is totally out of character for her. This is not the type of girl that would leave on her own, so that's why we're treating it as we are."

Richland County Sheriff's Deputies are working with the FBI to search for the Swainson. on Friday, investigators announced the reward for information in the case is up to $6,000.
[...]

Lott says the phone is the only thing missing from the Swainson home other than the teenager.
[...]
http://www.wistv.com/story/19374438/foul-play-suspected-in-teens-disappearance

The FBI has joined the search for a South Carolina cheerleader who vanished without a trace from her bedroom.

Gabrielle Swainson, 15, disappeared between 3:30 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. last Saturday, during the time her mother was at work, police said.

When mother Elvia Swainson returned home Saturday morning, Gabrielle's bed was empty.

"I grabbed my phone and started calling her number. The number rang a couple of times then it stopped," Swainson said.

Several more attempts to reach her daughter went straight to voicemail, she said.

Although there were no signs of foul play, investigators believe the teen's disappearance was not voluntary.

"Her purse was still there with her charger for her phone in it and all the ingredients of her purse like her wallet and her credit card, everything is still there," said Chandra Cleveland-Jennings, a private investigator hired by Swainson.

Cleveland-Jennings said there has been no activity on the teen's phone since her disappearance. Police have not said whether they have been able to locate a signal.

Gabrielle missed the first day of her sophomore year of high school on Thursday at Ridge View High School, where she had just made the junior varsity cheerleading squad.

"I don't know what has happened. I don't know how it happened and this is really a nightmare. It really is," Elvia Swainson said. "It's the worst situation a parent could be in."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/gabrielle-...south-carolina/story?id=17078903#.UDlM2qPF-7s

Early Saturday morning before dawn, Elvia Swainson said, she left her house in the North Crossing neighborhood near the Village at Sandhill mall for a few hours to catch up on some backed-up work at her office. She is a workers compensation claims adjuster, and it’s difficult to do all the interviews and write up reports in an eight-hour day, she said.

Just before she left her house, about 3:45 a.m., she went to her daughter’s second-story bedroom and placed the girl’s iPhone in her hand, Swainson said.

“She was sleeping. I shook her and said, ‘Gabbiee, Gabbiee, wake up, I’m about to run out and do some work, and I’ll be back.’” The phone was so Gabrielle could call if she needed to.

My speculation is maybe somebody saw me leave and came to the door right after I left and started ringing the doorbell or something. She may have come down with her cell phone in her hand and opened the door, thinking it was me,” Swainson said.
[...]

When she vanished, Gabrielle was apparently dressed only in pajamas and was clutching her iPhone. All her clothes, her purse and wallet with identification was still in the house. Police won’t comment on any locater signals they may have received from her GPS-equipped cell phone.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children has sent a consultant. By federal law, the Center can get certain information from various databases more quickly than local law enforcement, Lott said.

That group and the FBI “bring capabilities we don’t have,” Lott said.
[...]

Swainson left the house at 3:45 a.m. and was back between 7:15 and 7:30 a.m., she said.

When she entered the door, she heard her daughter’s alarm clock.

“I’m like, Gabbiee, Gabbiee, you hear that alarm going off?’”

When her daughter didn’t answer, she ran upstairs, didn’t see Gabrielle, panicked, then ran from room to room, yelling her name. She called her daughter’s phone and it rang and rang before going to voice mail. She ran outside, talked to neighbors and then called neighbors.

The clock, she calculated later, had been set to go off at 5:25 a.m. So whatever happened to Gabrielle happened between 3:45 a.m. and 5:25 a.m.
[...]

Lott declined Thursday to answer when asked if his detectives had a suspect.

But the sheriff did say that no family member is a suspect.

Gabrielle’s mother has hired a private investigator, Chandra Cleveland-Jennings, a 20-year veteran of the Richland County Sheriff’s Department. Cleveland-Jennings coordinates with the sheriff’s department, helps Swainson pursue leads and works with citizens groups. They’ve handed out more than 7,000 missing person leaflets in the northeast Richland County and Elgin areas.

Gabrielle’s father, Alvin Thompson, a long-distance truck driver, came down from his home in Virginia on Monday to do what he could.

“You never think this could happen to your family,” he said. “It always happens to somebody else.”

Swainson blinked back tears. “I try not to think negative at all. I need her to come home.”
http://www.thestate.com/2012/08/24/2410793/fbi-joins-missing-teen-case.html#.UDlOlqPF-7s

Help us find Gabbiee on FB: https://www.facebook.com/findGabbiee

Last edited:
Investigators charged Freddie Grant with kidnapping in the disappearance of 15-year-old Gabrielle "Gabbiee" Swainson after her blood was found on duct tape near his home, authorities said Tuesday.

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said 52-year-old Grant was a family acquaintance and did yard work for the Swainson family.

The sheriff was holding out hope that Gabbiee will be found alive, and more than 100 officers are combing through a junkyard across from the suspect's home in Elgin on Tuesday looking for the missing teen.

"I haven't given up hope of finding her and bringing her home. That's what we're operating under, that she can be found," Lott said. "He's only charged with kidnapping."

Grant was uncooperative when investigators first asked him if he knew where Gabbiee was, and hadn't been any more helpful since he was charged with kidnapping on Monday.
[...]

Investigators began questioning the family and anyone who knew the girl. Grant was an obvious target because he was a convicted felon and deputies became even more suspicious when he refused to cooperate, Lott said.

Bullets were found in Grant's home, leading to a federal weapons charge. Additional searches uncovered his DNA and Gabbiee's DNA on duct tape with blood on it found near his house, the sheriff said.
[...]

Lott said investigators are checking to see whether Grant is involved in the disappearance of a 28-year-old woman last year.

Investigators said Adriana Laster, who lived with Grant in Elgin, has been missing for nearly a year. Laster disappeared in September 2011, but wasn't reported missing until March of this year by her grandmother in Homestead, Fla., Elgin Police Chief Harold Brown said.

Grant and Laster lived together and had a troubled relationship. Brown said his officers were called to their home several times, culminating in an April 2011 charge of criminal domestic violence against Grant. Police pressed forward with the misdemeanor even though Laster asked them to drop the case. Grant was convicted and paid a fine, Brown said.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...g-missing-sc-teen-sheriff-hopeful-shes-alive/

“A monster came in that morning and did something that only happens in our nightmares,” Sheriff Leon Lott said.

Grant had a relationship with Gabrielle’s mother, Elvia Swainson, and investigators quickly named him as the top suspect when the teen disappeared.

Investigators traced Gabrielle’s cellphone signal to Grant’s house and found her DNA there, Lott said. While the sheriff was reluctant to release many details about what investigators have found, he did say the missing teen’s blood was found on duct tape in the vicinity of Grant’s house.
[...]

Several people, including the Elgin police chief, said Grant presented himself as a respectable person.

Grant occasionally had shown up at Elgin Town Council meetings to ask questions about the budget and to request a sign for his street, Brown said. He also was known to be a regular church-goer, he said.

Donna Hudson, a neighbor who is related to Grant by marriage, said he could be a polite gentleman.

But, “That man has a dark side,” she said.

Lott described Grant as a “career criminal.” Grant’s criminal history includes aggravated assault, battery, criminal domestic violence, multiple charges for cocaine and weapons violations in Florida and South Carolina.

Grant’s wife, Ollie Rotan, died in 2004, Hudson said.

Neighbors said that Elvia Swainson had dated Grant off and on over several years. They said Grant ran a lawn care service and would do yard work at the Swainson home. He also worked as a truck driver, they said.

Lott would not confirm a romantic relationship between Swainson and Grant but described them as acquaintances.

Grant had mowed the Swainson’s yard Aug. 17, the day before Gabrielle disappeared, Lott said.
[...]

It is unclear how Grant knew the girl was alone, Lott said. There was no sign of forced entry at the house.

Once Gabrielle was reported missing, investigators first looked into those closest to the family. Grant was in the next layer of family acquaintances, Lott said.

“It’s unusual when you have someone who is a friend of the family who doesn’t want to cooperate,” Lott said. “As the search for Gabbiee began, our investigators began making their case against Mr. Grant.”
http://www.thestate.com/2012/08/29/2416650/monster-charged-with-kidnapping.html#.UD5-0ZbF-7s

Just beyond the crime tape next door to his home sat Grant's sister Cynthia, who called the charges against her brother a misunderstanding.

"He's not a violent person, he keeps to himself, he minds his own business he works hard, to try to make a living and he'll try to do anything he can for a person," said Cynthia Grant. She says her brother has daughters and grandchildren of his own and wouldn't do that to someone eles's child.

Grant's sister also responded to questions about her brother's criminal history. Sheriff Lott said Grant had pervious drug, assualt, and domestic violence charges. Ms. Grant said her brother's record with the law happened a long time ago.

"That was his past and that's been many years ago, It's not like it was a year or two ago, that's been live over ten, fifteen years ago right now when all that happened so it not like something that recently happened," she said.

Grant says her brother helped raise Gabbiee, and was involved with her mother.

"I think she ran away because my brother didn't have anything to do with her being missing," said Cynthia Grant.

Everyone does not agree with that assessment. Donna Hudson says her aunt Ollie was married to Grant for several years. She's has no doubt that Freddie Grant had something to do with Gabbiee's disappearance.

"When I first saw Gabbiee missing, I didn't even know he was dealing with the mother in any way when I first seen her, and I just said you don't think Fred got that one either do you? And low and behold yes it was him."

Hudson lives a few houses down from Grant's Kelly Street home in Elgin. She sat and watched as law enforcement swept through the neighborhood. She said Grant was a charmer, but that nice layer didn't run deep. She worries he's harmed other children.

"He's a monster and I always though he was, I always thought it was something strange about him," said Hudson.
[...].
http://www.wltx.com/news/article/199478/2/Sister-Former-In-Law-React-to-Grants-Arrest

Last edited:
Oh doggone, he could have told her anything and she would have believed him, since why wouldn't she? She probably trusted him as her mother's friend. He may have said that her mother needed her. A family friend can be most evil, insidious monster, because anybody could fall for their bullshit.

A 52-year-old man charged with kidnapping in the case of missing Richland County teen Gabrielle Swainson has been named as a person of interest in a third law enforcement investigation.

Kershaw County Sheriff Jim Matthews said Freddie Grant is a person of interest in an unsolved homicide from October 2011. The victim in that case is Daniel Lee Wood, a 36-year-old man who was shot and killed in the front yard of a home in Lugoff. Crack cocaine was found at the scene, according to Kershaw County sheriff’s report.

“We have an unsolved homicide from the past year, and as a result of law enforcement looking for Gabrielle Swainson, we think Freddie Grant has now become a person of interest in our case,â€￾ Matthews said. He would not say how the two men might have known each other.
[...]

On Wednesday, Lott asked anyone who may have employed Grant as a landscaper or handyman to call his office. Those who hired Grant may have information on his behaviors, tendencies, habits and places he frequented, Lott said.

Grant is being held in the Lexington County Detention Center on a federal charge for illegal possession of ammunition. He has been charged with kidnapping by the Richland County Sheriff’s Department and is not cooperating, Lott said.
http://www.thestate.com/2012/08/29/2418600/suspect-in-teens-kidnapping-eyed.html#.UD9R05bF-7s

Mom was in a relationship with him and that fucker knew she was going in to work and that Gabbiee would be alone. I wonder how long this sick fucker fantasized about on getting his hands on her with no one finding out. I feel sick to my stomach.

Several people, including the Elgin police chief, said Grant presented himself as a respectable person.

Grant occasionally had shown up at Elgin Town Council meetings to ask questions about the budget and to request a sign for his street, Brown said. He also was known to be a regular church-goer, he said.

Worst sort of criminal there is: One that presents well when he wants to.

Though of course in my book being a "regular church-goer" is actually a strike against him. I immediately assume hypocrisy and/or a very reactionary neighbourhood.

Last edited:
Worst sort of criminal there is: One that presents well when he wants to.

Though of course in my book being a "regular church-goer" is actually a strike against him. I immediately assume hypocracy and/or a very reactionary neighbourhood.

Funny, I do that, too! I've never met a bigger hypocrite than a Christian, especially one that makes sure everyone knows it.

Lott: This Key Opened the Door to Gabbiee Swainson's Home

Sheriff Leon Lott says he can now say how the man accused of kidnapping Gabbiee Swainson got in the home.

Lott updated the investigation into the disappearance of the 15-year-old at a Wednesday morning news conference.

Freddie Grant, 52, is charged with taking Swainson early on the morning of August 18th.

Since Grant's arrest, Lott said that Grant got into the home overnight without forced entry. Now, however, Lott said his officers have found the key they believe Grant used to get inside the home.

According to Lott, Grant had been given the key months earlier by Gabbiee's mom so he could do flooring work in the home. He'd told the mother, though, that he'd lost the key.

Lott said Wednesday that when investigators entered Grant's home, they found key on a ring hanging on a door right inside Grant's home.

Lott did say Grant and the girl's mother were dating, but that Grant was not living inside the home. According to the sheriff, they'd first dated almost five years ago, but the mother had broken off the relationship. However, around October of last year, Grant came back into her life.

October, it turns out, is one month after 29-year-old Adriana Laster was last seen. Grant's been listed as a person of interest in her disappearance. Previous Coverage: Missing Woman's Sister Says She was Scared of Grant

"I don't believe that's just a coincidence," Lott said.

Lott also gave a little more detail about the evidence collected in the case, some of which was found in the Swainson home, some which was found in Grant's home, and more that was collected in a lot near Grant's property.

Lott said the blood found in Gabbiee's room was on her bed, and was "visible." He said there is more DNA evidence, but declined to classify what investigators recovered.

Despite some of the evidence recovered, Lott said just because her blood and hair was found, Lott says that doesn't mean she's not alive.

"This is a recovery effort to bring her home," Lott said. ""She hasn't given up hope, and I haven't either."

Anyone with information in the case should call Crimestoppers at 1-888-CRIME-SC.

http://www.wltx.com/news/article/200549/2/Lott-This-Key-Opened-the-Door-to-Gabbiees-Home-

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said DNA evidence links missing Columbia teen Gabbiee Swainson and the man Lott believes kidnapped the girl.

Lott updated the search at a Friday afternoon news conference where Elvia Swainson, Gabbiee's mom, joined him.

"I haven't given up," Lott said. "We're not going to give up, not going to slow down one bit."

Swainson has not been seen since August 18th. Lott and his deputies say they believe she was taken in the middle of the night by 52-year-old Freddie Grant.

Grant's currently in the Lexington County jail on a federal ammunition charge.

Lott did not give much new information on the investigation itself, except for this new information: he said they've recovered a duct tape roll that has both Grant and Swainson's DNA on it. Weeks ago, Lott had said they'd found pieces of duct tape with Gabbiee's blood on it at Grant's home in Elgin.

So far, Lott said Grant has not been cooperative on telling them about Swainson's disappearance.

That's something even Elvia Swainson has pleaded for from Grant. She said Friday she's sent letters to Grant asking him for a face to face meeting.

"I need to ask him what he knows about Gabbiee," she said.

She's gotten no response.
[...]

"I do believe she is alive," she said.
http://www.wltx.com/news/article/207555/2/Gabbiees-Mom-I-Do-Believe-She-is-Alive-

Her mother still believes she's alive? That is one of the saddest things I've ever heard. If she was still alive when they arrested him, there is no way she is any longer. I cannot imagine the horror her mom feels knowing she let this monster into their lives. I hope LE can find her remains so her mom can get some closure.

Last edited:
The father of missing 15-year-old Gabrielle Swainson said Tuesday the law is catching up with her accused kidnapper, but he wishes the man would tell authorities where his daughter is.

“I don’t think she’s alive,â€￾ said Alvin Thompson, the father, who lives in Virginia. “There’s been too much time.â€￾

That “manâ€￾ is Freddie Grant of Elgin, who was convicted Tuesday by a federal jury on a charge of being a felon in possession of ammunition.

Grant will be sentenced in April, when Assistant U.S. Attorney Stacey Haynes will ask a judge to enhance Grant’s punishment because he is an armed career criminal. The maximum penalty would be life in prison.

Grant’s criminal record includes convictions for assault and kidnapping while he was a soldier in Korea and for possession of cocaine with intent to distribute in South Carolina.

Grant has been charged by the Richland County Sheriff’s Department with kidnapping in Swainson’s Aug. 18 disappearance, and he is a suspect in the disappearance of 28-year-old Adrianna Laster, a woman who lived with him but has not been seen since fall 2011.
[...]

A jury deliberated about three hours before reaching the guilty verdict. Thompson attended the trial Monday and waited outside the courtroom as the jury deliberated. Elvia Swainson, Gabrielle’s mother and Grant’s former girlfriend, did not attend.

With the cloud of two missing girls over him, it’s about time Grant pays for his criminal past, Thompson said.

“This guy has escaped the legal system for a long time,â€￾ he said.

Mostly, Thompson wants to find his daughter.

“I’m a grown man, but I sit and cry because I don’t know where my daughter is,â€￾ he said. “There is just one person who knows where she is at, and that’s the man who was convicted on the ammunition charge. But it won’t bring my daughter back.â€￾
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/16/3791616/gabrielle-swainsons-father-doubts.html

Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott says, Freddie Grant, the suspect in the disappearance of Columbia teen Gabbiee Swainson has directed them to where he buried the teenaged girl’s body.

Right now, authorities are searching an area between Elgin and Lugoff in Kershaw County. Sheriff Leon Lott says many people searched the area where Freddie Grant says she was buried before today.

Grant was a friend of Gabbiee Swainson’s mother Elvia and was named a suspect in the her disappearance weeks after Gabbiee went missing.

Sheriff Leon Lott says Freddie Grant will be charged with murder.

http://www.midlandsconnect.com/news/story.aspx?id=931646#.UgQ_ShnD-M8

Breaking: Gabbiee Swainson’s body found

RICHLAND, SC -- Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott says, Freddie Grant, the suspect in the disappearance of Columbia teen Gabbiee Swainson has directed them to where he buried the teenaged girl’s body.

Right now, authorities are searching an area between Elgin and Lugoff in Kershaw County. Sheriff Leon Lott says many people searched the area where Freddie Grant says she was buried before today.

Grant was a friend of Gabbiee Swainson’s mother Elvia and was named a suspect in the her disappearance weeks after Gabbiee went missing.

Sheriff Leon Lott says Freddie Grant will be charged with murder.
[...]
http://www.midlandsconnect.com/news/story.aspx?id=931646#.UgRI7W1Ynh4

Hrm. [MENTION=1346]Whisper[/MENTION], looks like we posted the same thing. Great minds think alike.

people are such horrible animals sometimes. It really is terrifying. I hope she is resting in peace and that her mother has gotten a good therapist because the guilt she is no doubt feeling must be overwhelming.

The man who kidnapped and killed a 15-year-old Columbia girl orchestrated almost every part of the crime, including a final attempt to frame someone else for the murder, according to documents reviewed by The Associated Press and an interview with the sheriff.

The investigation was exhaustive and included hundreds of pieces of evidence and dozens of interviews. But it wasn't until Freddie Grant's own daughter was charged as an accessory did he admit to killing Gabrielle Swainson, who was known as Gabbiee.

“This was not a crime of passion that just happened. This was a plan – stalking, sexual assault and murder,” Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said.

Gabbiee disappeared in August 2012. Investigators pored over woods near Grant's home when she first went missing, but they didn't find her because she was buried in a five-foot deep hole, according to sheriff's office reports. Grant, a landscaper, had carefully filled the hole and spread pine straw all around it. Deputies only found her after he led them to her body in June.

Grant pleaded guilty to murder in August and accepted a 30-year sentence.

The deal came about because Grant ordered his own daughter to try to plant Swainson's cellphone to frame some of the people searching for the teen, who looked for her in Myrtle Beach days after she disappeared, but his plan backfired when deputies tracked Grant's 27-year-old daughter through her cellphone and debit card to the area at the time the phone was found.

Gabbiee was Grant's girlfriend's daughter. On the day she disappeared, co-workers told investigators Grant left work early. There were four hours between the time the teen's mom left for work and Grant showed up at her house because she had discovered the teen was gone, and Lott thinks Grant kidnapped the teen, sexually assaulted her and killed her during this time, waiting to bury her until the next day.

Reports from the crime lab retrace the harrowing steps of the crime. Blood in Gabbiee's bed indicated she was likely taken by force. Cellphone records showed Grant was at the teen's home when she was by herself, and the last signal from Gabbiee's phone came near Grant's house. The teen's DNA was on cups with alcohol in them at Grant's home, where Lott thinks she was forced to drink. Duct tape found at a junkyard near the killer's home had the impression of a mouth on them as if someone taped it shut along with DNA from both Swainson and Grant.

Once Gabbiee was reported missing, several people told investigators Grant behaved strangely when he came to her home. Grant said he found a note from the teen that said she was running away because she was gay, but Lott said the handwriting did not match the teen's.

One person said Gabbiee talked about receiving text messages from Grant saying she was beautiful and he could help her since she wasn't “experienced in the area of sex.” Grant dismissed the messages, saying he was trying to send them to the teen's mother and hit the wrong button.

After his sentencing, a federal marshal heard Grant say: “Oh man, that was more time than I expected, but I've got away with enough (stuff) in my life. I guess it is time I do my time.”

Prosecutors pressed forward with the kidnapping charge, and Lott thinks the pressure forced Grant to try to figure out a way out. The discovery of the cellphone and the arrest of his daughter likely left him little choice but to lead authorities to Swainson's body and take a plea deal.

“While he could kill someone else's daughter, he could save his own,” Lott said.

The teen's cellphone was found outside a Myrtle Beach grocery store in June in good condition. A delivery driver found it, charged it and contacted Gabrielle's mother.

Investigators figured it couldn't have been outside for 10 months.

“We knew it had been stored somewhere, probably as a trophy because it had Gabbiee's picture on it,” Lott said.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/12/21/3170518/attack-on-sc-teen-carefully-planned.html#storylink=cpy

What a sad, sick & twisted ordeal this little girl had to endure.

During the hearing, Fifth Circuit Solicitor Dan Johnson put the details of the crime on the record, the first public accounting of what took place on August 18th, 2012, the day the girl disappeared. Johnson said Grantentered the girl's Columbia home around 3:45 a.m. that morning. At the time, the Swainson's mother was at work.

Johnson said Grant and Swainson struggled, but that Grant ultimately overpowered the girl. After picking her up, Johnson said Grant took her back to his home in Elgin, some eight miles away.

Johnson said Grant bound the girl's hands and face, and she eventually suffocated to death. He then buried the girl in a five-foot deep grave a few miles away.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/news/crime/2014/01/18/4615889/

After his sentencing, a federal marshal heard Grant say: “Oh man, that was more time than I expected, but I've got away with enough (stuff) in my life. I guess it is time I do my time.”

That is very philosophical of him. One wonders what the things he got away with were?

His daughter followed his orders to dump Gabby's cell. I wonder how long she knew that her dad was a murderer? I'm willing to believe that was not the first time she helped him out.

A convicted South Carolina murderer has been charged with murder again — this time over the killing of a woman whose body was discovered in a sand pit nearly 13 years after she went missing.

Freddie Grant, 64, stands accused of two counts of domestic violence and one count each of kidnapping and murder over the 2011 death and disappearance of his then-girlfriend, Adriana Laster, 28.
The dead woman had, in the months leading up to her still-mysterious death, been the victim of domestic violence committed by the defendant, currently an inmate in state prison.
“This was a long time coming,” Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott said in comments reported by The Times and Democrat. “We knew that he was responsible for Adriana Laster’s death but it was just a matter of finding her body.
The charges against Grant were filed on Feb. 1 in Kershaw County, according to The State. In warrants, Laster expressed a fear that her then-boyfriend was trying to kill her. After walking to church one Sunday morning in September 2011, she was never seen alive again. Her family formally reported her as a missing person in March 2012.

Laster’s remains were discovered in early January after a worker at a quarry in Elgin made the shocking discovery while unloading sand that had been moved by an excavator at a mine owned by Tri D Materials. The identification of those remains occurred roughly a week later.
In March 2011, Grant brutally attacked Laster, slamming her face into the side of a brick wall and then dragging her into his car. He was arrested the month after that and convicted of criminal domestic violence in July 2011. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail and a small fine.

Months later, Laster was likely dead.

Richland County Coroner Naida Rutherford identified the grim quarry find as fragmentary skeletal remains. The identification was made through the use of DNA at the sheriff’s office’s crime lab, the State reported. Still, the manner of death has remained elusive.

“That requires a complete set of human remains and we just don’t have that currently,” Rutherford said in comments reported by the paper.

Elgin Mayor Melissa Emmons told the State that local police had warrants prepared for Grant’s arrest for over two years.
Long-suspected in Laster’s death, the defendant pleaded guilty in 2013 to murdering Gabrielle “Gabbiee” Swainson, 15, after abducting her from her home in Columbia, in Richland County, in August 2012. Under the terms of the plea deal, Grant led investigators to where he dumped Swanson’s body — in exchange for a 30-year sentence and for prosecutors dropping charges against his daughter, Dominique Grant, who was previously charged with being an accessory after the fact.
In comments to the State, Lott, the Richland County Sheriff described Grant as a “monster that continues to haunt this community.”
The defendant has also been connected to a third murder.

Back