• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
The father sounds incredibly calm on the 911 call. I mean really, really calm. No quiver, no catching his breath, nada. He even lol's as he is relaying that he called his wife to "get her butt home".
“I want to report a missing person,” Sergio Celis says on one of the two recordings, made the morning of April 21. “My little girl, who is 6 years old – I believe she was abducted from our house.”

The second call w/ the 14yo brother, now he sounds upset. Mother losses it too.
IF it was my kid omg, I'd have a hard time keeping my shit together. I usually keep it pretty well under ER situations but something like this, after reading what I have, yeah, I'd need drugs.

From whispers link. 911 calls.

DID YOU HEAR DADS CHUCKLING DURING HIS -911 CALL?

[...]
Operator: "Is mom there also?"
Sergio: "Uh, she had just left for work. I just called her and I told her to get her butt home," he then began to chuckle.

HLN's Jane Velez-Mitchell said, "There is something strange, very strange about his reaction."

Why would a loving dad chuckle just moments after learning that his six year old daughter was missing?

Velez-Mitchell said, "It is very possible that an innocent person has an eerily calm reaction because they are in shock."
[...]
http://www.insideedition.com/news/8206/fathers-911-call-raises-eyebrows-in-missing-child-case.aspx

Couldve been nerves,who knows what they would act like in that position

Last edited:
Police search desert north of D-M for evidence in Celis case
Tucson police and sheriff’s deputies are searching the desert north of Davis Monthan Air Force Base for anything of “evidentiary valueâ€￾ related to the Isabel Celis case.

The search team composed of around 25 officers and deputies and two K-9s have been scouring the area on the northern side of Golf Links Road for several hours and were expected to wrap up the search shortly, said Sgt. Maria Hawke, a Tucson police spokeswoman.

Police have searched the area before and have continued searches of different areas around town throughout the investigation, Hawke said.

“It’s not anything out of the ordinary that they’re doing,â€￾ she said. “They have been consistently re-searching areas as information has developed.â€￾

Some areas have been searched as many as four or five times, she said.

“It’s something we revisit consistently and we will continue to do so as we conduct the investigation,â€￾ Hawke said.

She could not comment on specifically what information lead officers to this particular area again.

Isabel was abducted, police said
[...]

For weeks, police have labeled the case a "suspicious disappearance" and "possible" abduction.

The chief also said the 6-year-old's parents, Sergio and Becky Celis, have still not been ruled out as suspects.

Investigators are in daily contact with the parents, but the relationship has become "much more strained now," Villaseñor said. "They are frustrated."

The chief said the parents are being asked "very pointed questions now."

Also on Monday during a news briefing:
• Villaseñor said Sergio Celis voluntarily entered into an agreement with Child Protective Services to not make contact with his two sons, 14-year-old Sergio and 10-year-old Julian.

This happened after detectives developed information pertaining to the welfare of the boys and shared it with CPS. Villaseñor would not elaborate on the information developed by detectives.

CPS and investigators met with Isabel's parents on Thursday, and the decision for Sergio Celis to stay away from his sons was made Friday.

The boys are now staying with their mother, Villaseñor said.

CPS has been involved with the case since Isabel was reported missing on April 21, which is a common practice in missing-children cases, Villaseñor said.

• The audiotapes and transcripts of the 911 calls made the morning Isabel was reported missing were released.
In one recording, Sergio Celis tells a dispatcher he believes his daughter was abducted.

He says that he and his sons "looked everywhere in the house, and my oldest son noticed that her window was wide open and the screen was laying in the backyard."

The dispatcher asks Celis if Isabel's mother was home. "Uh, she had just left for work; I just called her and I told her to get her butt home," he replies, chuckling, according to the transcript.

The father remains calm as he tells the dispatcher that the family arrived home the night before at about 10:30.

"Everyone took their showers and they all went to bed. I even was in the living room watching, uh, the Diamondbacks game at midnight. ... And I fell asleep and I never heard anything weird. So I was like just on the ... other side of the wall from her."

In another recording in a 911 call made by a neighbor, the older son, also named Sergio, who began looking for his sister in the neighborhood, says that his sister's gone, and that "someone broke in and grabbed her."

When Isabel's mother, Becky Celis, arrives home, she tells 911, "She's only six, can you please hurry and get somebody over here."

She says her husband discovered the disappearance. "I went to work this morning at seven and um, I just, and I didn't even come and check on her. I should have come and checked on her."

She cries out "oh my God" several times during the call. The dispatcher asks her to take a deep breath, adding: "I do understand how hard that is. I just need you to calm down a little bit, okay?"

Later, in response to questions, the mother says, "Other than the window out, I can't see anything else. And the door is locked to outside, so they had to have jumped over the fence or, I don't know what they did, but oh my God ..."

• During an interview, Villaseñor told the Star:
"We have eliminated some family members as suspects, and we have eliminated a lot of the sex offenders in the area" of the family's home in the 5600 block of East 12th Street.

"We haven't gone down only one path in our investigation," Villaseñor said, explaining that detectives are looking at "external" leads that are away from the family, and "internal" leads - family members or people known to the family.

More than 1,000 leads have been reported to police, and at one point about 250 law enforcement officers from local, state and federal agencies were involved in Isabel's search.

Now, some 20 investigators and 30 support staff members are working the case daily, police said.

The cost on this case has topped $1 million, including $250,000 in overtime costs.

The 88-CRIME reward for information leading to an arrest in Isabel's disappearance has been increased to $50,500, of which $49,500 is from private donations.

Excerpt from father's 911 call
Here's an excerpt from the call to 911 by Sergio Celis reporting his daughter had disappeared:

Dispatcher: Tucson Police Department.

Sergio Celis: Hello, I need to report a uh, missing child. I believe she was abducted from my house.

D: Why do you think she was abducted?

SC: I have no idea. We woke up this morning and went to go get her up, start her baseball game and she's gone. I woke up my, my sons, I, we looked everywhere in the house, and my oldest son noticed that her window was wide open and the screen was laying in the backyard. We've looked all around the house, my son ...

After getting names and an address:
D: OK. Is mom there also?

SC: Uh, she had just left for work, I just called her and I told her to get her butt home (chuckles). After getting a description of Isabel, the dispatcher asks Sergio about anything unusual happening.

D: Have you guys ... been having any weird phone calls, anything like that, somebody hanging around?

SC: No. We got home late from uh, my son's baseball game. You know, about 10:30 last night. Everyone took their showers and they all went to bed. I even was in the living room watching uh, the Diamondbacks game at midnight. ... And I fell asleep and I never heard anything weird. So I was like just on the ... other side of the wall from her.

Later, Sergio Celis is asked about the family situation, including if he and his wife are Isabel's biological parents:

D: OK. So no, no stepparents, any, any problems with any grandparents?

SC: No.

D: OK. So you are not having any family issues, anything like that?

D: OK. And you haven't noticed anybody hanging out in front of your house?

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/pol...90b-560a-bc5b-28688eda8e04.html#ixzz1uzNh8NYH

DID YOU HEAR DADS CHUCKLING DURING HIS -911 CALL?
yeah, i posted on that.
The father sounds incredibly calm on the 911 call. I mean really, really calm. No quiver, no catching his breath, nada. He even lol's as he is relaying that he called his wife to "get her butt home".

yeah, i posted on that.

lol sorry I missed it
I am painting and planting and posting all at the same time

SC: No. We got home late from uh, my son's baseball game. You know, about 10:30 last night. Everyone took their showers and they all went to bed. I even was in the living room watching uh, the Diamondbacks game at midnight. ... And I fell asleep and I never heard anything weird. So I was like just on the ... other side of the wall from her.

Way, way, way too much detail for an answer if there's been strange phone calls, or anyone hanging around. Suspect.

Police investigating the disappearance of 6-year-old Arizona girl Isabel Mercedes Celis confirmed Tuesday they believe she was abducted.

Investigators have searched the girl's Tucson, Ariz., home, interviewed more than 500 sex offenders and waded through 1,000-plus tips. So far, they haven't named a suspect.

Police previously characterized the case as a "suspicious disappearance/possible abduction."
[...]

A few days after the disappearance, a neighbor told KVOA-TV that she heard her dogs barking and male voices outside her bedroom window around 6:30 a.m. on the day she was reported missing. The neighbor said there were no sounds that indicated a struggle.
[...]

Police are holding out hope that Isabel is still alive.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...issing-ariz-girl-was-abducted-police-confirm/

Wow, dad was super calm. I don't get it but then again everyone reacts differently, still feels funny. The 14 year old brought tears to my eyes. I hope she is found ALIVE.

I'm feeling kinda stumped on this one. In all fairness, I haven't seen any interviews or listened to the 911 calls, but my mind is in limbo. I can see my husband being extremely calm if he had to make a phone call like that, however I cannot see him chuckling during it. I have been known to laugh at some pretty stressful and inappropriate times so I don't know what to think about that fact. Everyone reacts to situations differently, and as much as we try and swear that we know how we "would be", we really don't until we are right there in it. I do know CPS is always involved in these cases and while it isn't common to remove the children or bar them from seeing one parent, it isn't that rare. And just because they had been called out previously doesn't mean anything either. There are thousands of times they investigate and close a case because there was no basis. Mom was a nurse, if they had any RTB the investigation would have been on-going and her place of employment would have known. Lastly and most importantly, the time frame is whack. If dad did anything to his daughter, he would have had to dispose of her in some way or form between the time mom left for work (7:00) and when he and his sons were looking for her and called the police. An hour? I just can't see it. And while I may question dad's behavior, no one seems to think mom or the other kids had any involvement so that seems to rule out something happening overnight and mom being invloved in a cover up. Dad did say he stayed up to watch a baseball game on TV and fell asleep, so I guess he could have harmed her then and did away with her and it was just sheer luck momma didn't check up on her before she left for work. Maybe dad did do something to her and it was his intention that mom find her missing before work and it threw him off when he had to call 911 himself. It really irks me that she's been gone since April 21st and the police finally say on May 16th it's an abduction. I hope they didn't drop the ball on this one.

OK, I'll stop now. I'm tired and rambling.

I am pretty well-known for my gallows humor. There aren't many stressful situations I've been in where I haven't cracked a (usually lame) joke. But two times I wasn't joking were a) the one time I had to call 911 (my dad hit my mom) and b) when I woke up to find my indoor cat had disappeared. I'm not trying to draw any parallels between cats and children. I just don't have kids so I have no frame of reference for this exact event. I actually assume I'd be even MORE upset if it was a 6-year-old. At least cats can survive on their own, which mine did. He came back late that night, very smug.

I'm not necessarily saying the dad did it based on this reaction. I'm just saying that, even as someone who jokes about horrible things, I wouldn't be joking here.

Not getting great feelings from my instincts in this case. Think there is a lot more going on within the Family than has been reported on here. Totally understand chuckling in wrong situations, I giggle at funerals, or rather I try my hardest not to! No idea of what the family dynamics are or what the Father does for a living, but just an inkling it may be related to debt of some kind? Just speculating as always.

Not getting great feelings from my instincts in this case. Think there is a lot more going on within the Family than has been reported on here. Totally understand chuckling in wrong situations, I giggle at funerals, or rather I try my hardest not to! No idea of what the family dynamics are or what the Father does for a living, but just an inkling it may be related to debt of some kind? Just speculating as always.

That's what I was thinking. Dad owes some kind of debt, so he lets whoever come and take his daughter through her bedroom window for whatever purpose while he occupies himself with something else. And after the kidnappers are clear, he calls the police to tell them that his child has been "abducted."

She's most likely still alive, but she probably wishes she wasn't, if my feelings about her current situation are correct.

Not sure he (Daddy) let them take her, but think he has an idea who did, and is possibly covering that up until he can pay up, rather than telling the cops who he suspects/knows to be involved, with you on the feeling she is still suffering though Cygnet, they want their money/payment. Might be a bent cop or two in the situation too, glad I don't live in Russia or I'd probably be arrested for that suggestion! Big Grrr, those who took her really did scrape the barrel if any of our instincts are right, I don't pray, but can send best wishes and Karma to the kid, hope she's found safe.

I'm wondering if the father hired some guys to take her. I can't get past the fact that the neighbor heard a couple of guys talking outside the window early that morning.

I'm wondering if the father hired some guys to take her. I can't get past the fact that the neighbor heard a couple of guys talking outside the window early that morning.

No ransom, but he may have sold her, hope to goodness that's not the case, we need to keep this case alive guys or it might get lost like too many others, prayers from those of you that do, and Karmic wishes from me.

I read somewhere that the dad is a dental hygenist. As for inappropriate laughing, I laugh at people throwing up or gagging, always without fail. And I laugh when I am in shock over something. I always have to apologize and it gets uncomfortable. I don't think I'd laugh over my child missing though, unless I was hysterical.

As for your speculation, that just chills me to the bone...

Last edited:
The mother of a missing Arizona girl is defending her husband as "a great father" even though authorities have barred him from seeing their two other children.

Meanwhile, Tucson police announced on Monday that they'll canvas the neighborhood of 6-year-old Isabel Celis again. Police hope to generate fresh leads by talking to neighbors they didn't talk to on previous searches near the Celis' home.

Detectives will also visit registerred sex offenders with histories of targeting children, according to KPHO, as they try to solve Celis' disappearance. Her father Sergio Celis reported her missing on April 21.

Child welfare authorities stepped in last week and reached an agreement that Sergio Celis wouldn't have contact with his 10- and 14-year-old sons. It's unknown why the dad can't see his sons, but police confirmed that a protective services agency was called to the family's home last year.

To comply with the order, Sergio and his wife Rebecca Celis have separated. She has custody of their sons.

In remarks at a vigil last week to mark the one-month anniversary of Celis' abudction, she defended Sergio

"My husband's a great father," she said, according to KGUN. "He's a great husband, a great father to the boys and to Isabel. At the end of the day when Isabel comes home, everybody's questions will be answered.

Sergio told 911 operators that he discovered Isabel was gone from her bedroom when he went to wake her up. It appeared like an abduction to him, he said, because her window was open and a screen had been removed.

Police recently announced that they too think Celis was abducted.

Sergio and his wife Rebecca Celis have cooperated with authorities and haven't been labeled suspects.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/23/isabel-celis-mother-defends-husband_n_1539226.html

I read somewhere that the dad is a dental hygenist. As for inappropriate laughing, I laugh at people throwing up or gagging, always without fail. And I laugh when I am in shock over something. I always have to apologize and it gets uncomfortable. I don't think I'd laugh over my child missing though, unless I was hysterical.

As for your sepculation, that just chills me to the bone...

I always hope I'm wrong. Last time my eldest vanished I was joking with the police, not saying it's right, just a way to handle near hysteria I think, he came home safe, thank fook!

Police: Blood-like stains in Tucson girl's room

Police say they found what appeared to be blood on the bedroom floor of a missing 6-year-old Tucson girl and dark stains on other items during a search at her home.

Hundreds of pages of reports released Thursday by Tucson police detail the search for Isabel Mercedes Celis, who was reported missing on April 21.

The reports show officers saw "apparent blood" on the floor of Isabel's room, the place her parents say she was last seen.

ABC News reports that during one search, police collected a hat and vinyl shower curtain found in a car outside the Celis home. Both items had "dark red-brown or brown stains."

On the morning Isabel was reported missing, police took all the bedding from the home and gathered DNA and blood samples from Isabel's parents, the Arizona Daily Star reports.

Police also interviewed employees at the office where Isabel's father works.

Sergio and Becky Celis said they last saw their first-grader in her room the night of April 20 and discovered her missing the next morning.

Police said they believe Isabel was abducted but have not named any suspects.

The more than 500 pages of police reports released Thursday show officers interviewed the girl's parents separately soon after she disappeared. Officers reported Becky Celis was crying and upset during an interview, and Sergio Celis told police he knows many of his neighbors and didn't suspect they took Isabel.

Investigators subpoenaed Sergio Celis' employment records from the dental-surgery office where he works as a surgical assistant. Reports show doctors who own the office described Celis as a "model employee."

Authorities have barred Celis from having any contact with his 10- and 14-year-old sons, but police said that doesn't mean he's a suspect in his daughter's disappearance.

The police reports show officers spent days questioning people passing by the girl's home and checking areas all over the city, including empty buildings, backyard pools and even a bomb shelter.

The reports also detail tips that police investigated.

Records show a neighbor reported hearing a "dog going crazy barking" around 2 a.m. the morning Isabel was reported missing, and around 8 a.m. saw one of Isabel's brothers walking down the street. The boy was crying and said he was looking for his sister.

Another man told police he saw a little girl running down the street late at night, but police didn't find anyone in the area.

Police spokeswoman Sgt. Maria Hawke said Friday she was not able to comment on details in the records because she has not yet read the hundreds of pages of reports.

Police said the investigation has involved several hundred officers and cost more than $1 million. Authorities have previously said they interviewed hundreds of sex offenders and evaluated more than a thousand tips in the case.

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_268748/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=wipjTrOi

[..]
The reports don't offer many details or speculate as to why there was blood in the home. Investigators also found stains on a shower curtain and white hat stowed in the family car, HLN-TV reported.

The documents also revealed that a witness pointed a finger at Celis' father, Sergio Celis, because he allegedly owed someone money. The witness speculated that Celis was abducted over a cash dispute.

"[The man] went on to say that something didn't seem right about what was going on and alluded that he believed that the father was involved in some way," the police report stated
[...]
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...isabel-celis-bedroom_n_1550314.html?ref=crime

Volunteers keep missing girl's image in view

Several volunteers are making it their mission to keep the image of a missing Tucson girl in public view.

[...]
The small group of rotating volunteers, some family friends, neighbors and strangers, are posting fliers in neighborhoods, working on brightly colored door hangers and planning car washes and other events.

The girl's photo will be placed on six bus benches and several signs at bus stops throughout the city in the next few weeks.

"People will see her face, and if they see her or if they have seen something of her, then that will bring in a tip that will bring her home," the girl's mother, Becky Celis, said Friday while helping volunteers. "If nobody knows what she looks like, then how are they going to know when they see her? They won't know."

[ ..]
Police reports show officers spent days questioning people passing by the girl's home and checking areas all over the city, including empty buildings, backyard pools and even a bomb shelter.

Police also have interviewed hundreds of sex offenders and evaluated more than a thousand tips in the case.

The volunteers have been meeting at a new command center at Abbie Loveland Tuller School.

Bins at the center are filled with "Bring Isa Home" T-shirts, and tables are covered with rosaries, prayer cards, candles, water bottles with Isabel's photo, and purple bracelets and ribbons _ small tokens for those who stop by to leave a donation.

Mike Ronquillo volunteered for the first time Friday. He said he felt compelled to help in some way.

"They said they were looking for volunteers all the time, and I don't know what I can do, but I thought I'd give it a shot and see what I could do besides just sitting and praying," the retiree said.

Volunteers said fewer people are coming to the center since they moved from a parking lot at Broadway and Craycroft Road. Some days, no one comes to make a donation.

"A lot of people have given what they can, but people also need to be reminded that our efforts aren't done, they're not complete, they're not finished," said Scott Salzer, 20, who volunteers several times a week with his girlfriend.

A white board is filled with several ideas, some finalized, some in the works, for volunteers' next efforts to keep Isabel in the spotlight.
Saturday night, volunteers and Isabel's mom planned to man a booth at a downtown running event to give out fliers and other items with Isabel's information and to collect donations.
http://azdailysun.com/news/state-an...9a2-5a36-b61a-21969854797b.html#ixzz1wgjfT74Z

Rebecca Celis: "Do not forget"
Two months after Isabel's disappearance, volunteers work to keep hope alive

With the number of volunteers dwindling and the leads barely trickling in, attention to the Isabel Celis case is dying down. Thursday night, Rebecca Celis, her two sons and a group of volunteers pushed to keep Isabel's name in the headlines with a fundraiser at Kino Stadium.

It's been two months since anyone has seen Isabel. Although the weeks continue to go by, Rebecca continues to work to bring her daughter home.

"It gets harder and harder," Rebecca said. "But we still have hope."

All Rebecca and the volunteers can really do is hope. Tucson Police tell 9OYS the leads are not coming in as frequently. The count now stands at about 1,800. Meanwhile, public interest is waning.

9OYS reporter Marcelino Benito asked Rebecca if she thinks people have forgotten her daughter is missing. "Probably a little bit," she replied. "We continue to post flyers, everyone at the command center, our families, we've been trying as hard as we can. That's what's going to bring her home."

Rebecca and the volunteers helped distribute Isa's photo at the ballpark. Her name was everywhere, on candles, t-shirts, stickers and water bottles. People stopped by during the game to do their part with a donation. It's these things that Rebecca believes will ultimately bring her daughter home.

"I feel in my heart that she's out there," she said. "We just have to make sure the right person sees her to bring her home."

Tucson Police continues to investigate, but the number of personnel working the case has drastically dropped off. Just under 20 people continue to work the case full-time. There are still no suspects.

"I want people to not forget," Rebecca said. "She's still out there. Keep posting flyers. Keep your eyes open. Keep praying."

If you have any information that can help police crack this case, call 911 or 88-crime. The reward for information leading to Isabel now stands at $60,500.

http://www.kgun9.com/news/local/159977075.html

I too have a bad feeling about what happened to this little girl.

I have seen a little bit on the father, tv interviews and such, and something about him bothers me. For being calm on the 911 call, maybe some sort of shock? My husband and I tend to be very calm in emergencies, we have both work EMS for years and you just have to be there so we just tend to be when things happen to our boys, injuries and that. I don't think either of us would chuckle but we could both be very calm, not saying we would be in that situation and I don't want to ever test my theory on this one.

Back