• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
1675466989231.png

More than 100 famished cats were discovered living in squalor inside a Westchester County hoarding house where a man and woman were found dead this week, officials said.
Police were conducting a welfare check on the residents at the request of a family member inside the Cordial Road home in Yorktown Heights Monday when they were confronted with 150 cats living in filth.

The felines were trapped in every room of the home, including the walls and ceilings, Yorktown Police and the SPCA Westchester said.
Cops were unable to clear the scene until the SPCA’s rescue team removed most of the cats from the “small dilapidated home,” according to the animal protection agency.

The deceased homeowners were not immediately identified by police, but are believed to have been husband and wife.

Police said they did not suspect foul play, but the probe into the deaths was being hindered by “the sheer volume of cats inside of the residence,” Yorktown Police Chief Robert Noble said in a statement
The cats are all Abyssinian mixes who appear to have suffered “years of neglect,” the organization said.

Many of the cats were pregnant – including one that was in such distress that she gave birth on the way to the SPCA’s rescue center.
The felines were suffering from upper respiratory, eye and skin infections, malnutrition, dehydration – and some had “more severe injuries that require immediate medical attention,” the SPCA said.

All of the cats were starving and likely hadn’t had anything to eat or drink in days.
While about 100 cats were removed from the home, the rest “remain in the home because local shelters are at capacity and the residence is the safest place for them,”t Noble said.

Volunteers are feeding them and providing water.
The SPCA Westchester is calling the rescue the largest in its history.

The cats’ veterinary care and rehabilitation is expected to cost more than $40,000 and the SPCA is asking for donations.
1675467081740.png

March 21, 2023
The medical examiner said Mary McGuinness and Patrick Hickey of Yorktown died of an overdose of cocaine and fentanyl. The deaths have been ruled an accident.
Investigators who arrived at their home on a wellness check found almost 150 cats inside. Many of them had medical issues, including eye infections.

Unusual for a hoarding situation, the cats were generally well-socialized. The SPCA of Westchester spent more than $40,000 treating the cats. Several dozen have since been adopted.

Don’t put yourself in charge of children or any other vulnerable living things if you want to do that type of drug. Surely as an addict you’re aware of this possibility. However, I suppose if you don’t care about yourself you aren’t going to care about others either.
I was thinking the same exact thing,

I also feel that way if you are sick and have a medical condition make sure that there is at least one person that is regularly checking up on you.

I doubt these people were taking very goo care of those cats when they were alive.

I wonder if they were selling them (the kittens)>

When I read they were Abyssinians, I had the same thought. Back yard or in this case in-house breeders.

They are obviously not pure bred, as those cats dont have markings.

The silver lining here is they were somewhat socialized, that means they will all hopefully find a home. The owners did the best thing they could for them, drop dead. That may sound harsh, but the 150 cats would have turned into 250 cats suffering from chronic URI's, a tight space and possibly little food (which I dont see any skeletal cats but I did spot a couple prego ones) the queens would keep on breeding over and over having several litters a year. This puts them at risk for pyometra and certain cancers.

tl:dr cats are going to have a better life

Back