• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
The search for a missing 2-year-old from southwest Houston enters its second day and there's still no sign of the little girl.

Maliyah "Tootie" Bass was reported missing Saturday. She is 3 feet tall and weighs between 38 and 40 pounds. She has black hair and brown eyes.

She was last seen at a park in the 10600 block of Beechnut St., wearing a black tank top with multi-colored polka dots paired with the matching pants and a pair of blue shoes.

Authorities issued an Amber Alert early Sunday for Maliyah . Amber Alerts are issued when authorities have reason to believe a child is in grave or immediate danger.

Her grandmother cried and begged for her safe return, saying, "She's little. She didn't do anything to anybody."

Maliyah was carrying a pink and white pillowcase with letter blocks inside.

Texas EquuSearch joined the search, sending people out on foot in the rain.

"Everybody is important for sure, but when you've got a little two-year-old that could be walking down the street alone, it becomes very, very much an emergency," said an EquuSearch spokesperson.
1598199910747.png

Police and Texas EquuSearch volunteers canvassed the area Saturday looking for the 2-year-old. One of the pools at the apartment complex was drained because it was too murky to see the bottom, but no sign of the little girl.

EquuSearch volunteers plan on continuing their search Sunday for Maliyah.

Her parents were taken in for questioning because they were the last people to see her, but no arrests have been made.

People who live at the apartment said they’re praying for the child’s safe return.

“Like when I woke up and my mother showed me that picture, I broke down in tears because I have a niece that’s only 4 and she’s 2. That completely broke me,” Michelle George said.

Last edited:
Who leaves their two year old unattended?
The child’s mother said she went inside an apartment for a few minutes while the child was playing outside. When the mother returned, the child was missing.
Post automatically merged:

@Sugar Cookie body found :(

Last edited:
Google Maps says it's 18 miles and half an hour between where Miss Tootie disappeared from and where the child was found in Brays Bayou.

Houston Police confirmed the body of a small child was found in Brays Bayou but said there is no ID or cause of death at this time.

"Based on what we know, we believe there is a high probability this is her," said Houston's Police Chief during a press conference.

Police are highly confidant foul play is involved and are now investigating this as a homicide.

Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said he is "highly confident" foul play is involved after the body of a young girl was found in a southeast Houston bayou Sunday morning as crews searched for a missing 2-year-old approximately 15 miles away.

Houston Police received the call for the missing 2-year-old child at 9:30 a.m. on Saturday. The mother of Maliyah "Tootie" Bass said she left her unattended at a playground for just a couple of minutes and she disappeared.

Police began searching the area immediately and an Amber Alert was issued.

A female jogger spotted a child's body floating in Brays Bayou Sunday morning and called her husband to come look at it to make sure it was a body. She and her husband both contacted 9-1-1 shortly after the discovery.

Water rescue arrived and pulled the body from the bayou and pronounced the victim deceased.

In a briefing held on Sunday afternoon, Acevedo reiterated that sentiment saying based on what investigators discovered, there is a "high probability it will be her."

The boyfriend of the mother of Maliyah Bass spoke to reporters at the location where the body was found.

He claims police did not perform an adequate search for the child.

“The community did better than the police did and my baby could’ve been anywhere at any time,” Thompson said.

Acevedo said officers did everything in their power to search for the missing girl.

Acevedo said it wasn't an accident and believes foul play was involved, however, he says they currently do not have any suspects.

“That’s my baby,” Thompson said. “She knows her ABCs. She knows her 123s. She knew how to talk because of me and her mother. She was smart she was growing up to be something.”

Last edited:
I'm uncomfortable with an aspect of the child's picture.

But having said that:

Per this report:

Police also reviewed neighboring surveillance video from the apartment complex but found no footage showing Maliyah leaving the complex, authorities said.

2 year old would have to have wings if it was going to somehow wander off this property. Iron fence. See google street view screenshots for fence and character of this apartment complex:

10600-beechnut-1.png

10600-beechnut-2.png

The mother gave a precise time for a disappearance but surveillance footage sees no evidence of child leaving at that time.

It would appear that either someone in that complex grabbed her at time of disappearance and dumped the body later, or, parents. Character of the neighborhood does not seem so great in any case.

Edit: Oh, holy shit.

Sex offender check for that neighborhood. This could have been where that playground was. Maplecrest Drive looks like the cutoff for the 10600 block toward the east.

10600-beechnut-3.png

Pic from the back, there, closest I can get.

10600-beechnut-4.png

Last edited:
In photos of the apartment complex, note all the garbage on the ground, even near the collection bins, plus the multiple stolen shopping carts, abandoned and on the ground. This is not a place where good people live.

Also, boyfriend seems suspicious. They should look at him extra close.

"It is a sad day," said Chief Acevedo. "You look over, and you look at a little baby, [and] I can just tell you that we would do anything to have that baby alive now. Our job is to try our very best to find out what happened. That little baby needs justice."

"We're going to catch them," said Acevedo when asked to relay a message to person or persons who may be responsible. "We're going to find them, and we're going to charge them."

Jesus..... those images will not leave the responders memory and hearts anytime soon.

1598306366374.png

So many offenders in their complex though. Sure the camera didn't pick up a child leaving, but how many cars came out between when she went missing and when she was found?
This, and I imagine that is one direction the police investigation is going, since they have video footage. Also focusing on the night before the reported disappearance I presume.

Some neighbors are pissed.

"They admit they realize this is a very very high crime area. It doesn't make sense that if you know this is a high crime area, why would you bring your baby to a playground, go back in the house and shut the door behind you. That makes no sense. That is negligence as a parent," activist Quanell X said.

uhhhhh

"We don't want to give people false hope," explained Acevedo. "We want to hold on to a little hope, but we want to prepare for the worst. Based on the proximity to where Maliyah was reported missing, there's a high probability that it is her."

If the ID was not easy and immediate, it would mean some sort of disfigurement, would it not. It could be crazy.

Last edited:
Many of the neighbors said they went door-to-door Saturday morning looking for the missing 2-year-old who police say was left on the playground while her mother was inside the apartment cooking.
Quanell X said he was concerned with the living conditions he saw inside. He said it was very rough conditions for a child. He said while he won’t represent the family, he plans to get to the truth.

hm.

Boyfriend said:
We don’t even live over here.

The child’s mother said she went inside an apartment for a few minutes while the child was playing outside. When the mother returned, the child was missing.

Which apartment, their own? If it was their own, it would mean that she walked completely away from the immediate area, as in way out of sight and sound of the playground. Sheesh. If she made any sort of habit of doing things like that, I can see where some of the residents are annoyed and are maybe complaining about her.

It was also reported that the mom & boyfriend were sighted in a convenience store the night before, and the baby was not with them, this might be consistent with leaving the child home alone, that source speculated.

Mother also said this:

Who could be watching my baby to even snatch her from the park?

If she was in any sort of habit of leaving this child alone in this playground, her statement/intuition could be precisely correct. A predator could have noticed this bad habit of hers, and he was watching and waiting that morning for the split second she brought the child and left it, watching her go out of sight and noting that there were no witnesses around before grabbing.

The possibility of this being planned due to the mother having creating a pattern of leaving the child unattended in this playground (if she did this) leaves open some other possibilities. It could have been a pair of people who for example planned this online, one of whom snatched the child and passed her over the iron fence in a more or less concealed area of that complex to someone else. These would have been people who knew or scoped the area and who deliberately did not make themselves visible to the cameras at the entrances. This way, the child-snatching individual may not have left the property in the ensuing 24 hours, leaving no trail of this sort pointing toward himself.

Also reported:

They found my baby on an orange float floating down the bayou.

So like, does anyone know how fast these bayous through Houston flow? Not far from the complex, this bayou looks like below image. Supposedly these go slowly?

brays-bayou.png

Since official identification is still apparently taking its time, I'm guessing there is no chance she was placed on the orange float in the bayou alive (it would also seem that a 2 year old would survive 24 hours in that sort of weather, if nothing else had happened). News reports the location found as "downstream" and this looks correct to me from the layout of the waterways.

The float had to have gone out overnight, it's kinda hard for people to miss an orange float with a little body on it during a daytime search in such a place, right?

I guess the police will be able to get a time of death and be able to make a judgment call as to when the float might have been put into the bayou, and that could give them hints as to where it was placed into it. It seems an odd way to ditch a body but there may be reasons.

I hope they get some fingerprints, or maybe DNA if nothing else, off of the inflatable (or the body :/ ). If it's really like this, and the mother and baby were stalked over a period of time, it could be tough to isolate the predator(s).

The news imagery when compared to google satellite images matches the playground being right in the middle of this pedo nest:

10600-beechnut-5.png

Last edited:
Back