• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Blunderbuss Firozabad

Made of Pumpkin pie
Bold Member!
1000013482.jpg

1000013483.jpg

Original post and response on Reddit

"A Reddit user got the surprise of a lifetime when they noticed a human-like jawbone embedded in the new travertine flooring at their parents' house.

Travertine, a type of limestone formed around natural springs, is a popular choice for floors and walls due to its distinctive patterns and textures.

But as it turns out, travertine also has a habit of entombing ancient fossils."

"Further investigation revealed the travertine was sourced from Turkey, where a famous Homo erectus skull fragment, the Kocabaş fossil, was discovered in a quarry."

@Josh P: Did this really happen, or is this a spicy scenario being presented? I'm very interested in more information.

Reminds me of Biblical scripture:

16 And Samson said, With the jawbone of an ass, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men.

17 And it came to pass, when he had made an end of speaking, that he cast away the jawbone out of his hand, and called that place Ramathlehi.

18 And he was sore athirst, and called on the Lord, and said, Thou hast given this great deliverance into the hand of thy servant: and now shall I die for thirst, and fall into the hand of the uncircumcised?

19 But God clave an hollow place that was in the jaw, and there came water thereout; and when he had drunk, his spirit came again, and he revived: wherefore he called the name thereof Enhakkore, which is in Lehi unto this day.

20 And he judged Israel in the days of the Philistines twenty years.

If you're very petty and do not mind missing the true point of the passage, you'll recognize that the Bible is completely fine with the word "ass". Therefore, posting the following picture in this context is not blasphemous. Right? Am I right, everyone?

iu

OMG THE LITTLE CRAB!!!! :happy::happy::happy::happy:

I love him!! <3

When I did my stone back splash at my old house, there was a tile that looked like it maybe had some sort of fossilized plant embedded in it.

That tile got a place of honor where I'd see it all the time, because it made me happy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240420_083955_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20240420_083955_Photos.jpg
    431.8 KB · Views: 37
OMG THE LITTLE CRAB!!!! :happy::happy::happy::happy:

I love him!! <3

When I did my stone back splash at my old house, there was a tile that looked like it maybe had some sort of fossilized plant embedded in it.

That tile got a place of honor where I'd see it all the time, because it made me happy.

That's nice!
It looks like a crystal dendrite

"Though they may look like fossil plants, dendrites are incredible and inorganic formations that occur solely due to interactions between physics and geochemistry.
These branching patterns are made of manganese oxides and commonly form on the surface of sandstones.
As the manganese cools, it crystalizes into thin, tree-like shapes in the same process that creates snowflakes."

That's poetic.
I certainly hope you retained this specimen?

ETA: I did a reverse image search.

1000013560-jpg.108930

Attachments

• 1000013560.jpg
    1000013560.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
That's nice!
It looks like a crystal dendritic.

"Though they may look like fossil plants, dendrites are incredible and inorganic formations that occur solely due to interactions between physics and geochemistry.
These branching patterns are made of manganese oxides and commonly form on the surface of sandstones.
As the manganese cools, it crystalizes into thin, tree-like shapes in the same process that creates snowflakes."

That's po.
I certainly hope you retained this specimen?

ETA: I did a reverse image search.

1000013560-jpg.108930

Nope, left it on the wall for hopefully the next owners to appreciate!

This tile is catching a lot of interest

Back